⭐ See my Q&A and WhatsApp Blogs ✨ (For bible questions and post responses) ✨

The Difference Between Sin and Sins

The Difference Between Sin and Sins


It's always good if one learns a new insight or revelation that causes you to see something new in the scriptures; to help you to understand a verse or passage in a deeper or more profound way. One such moment came for me when I learned that there was a marked difference between the word "Sin" and the word "Sins". One might think that it's the same thing except that the plural means more than one sin, right? Well, actually, no, depending on the context of the verse.

Lets look at some verses that illustrate the difference between the two,


First, the word "Sins" (plural)

Galatians 1:4 Who gave himself for our sins, that he might deliver us from this present evil world, according to the will of God and our Father:

1 Corinthians 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

Ephesians 1:7 In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;

The word, "Sins" (plural) refer to countless acts of sinning as the fruits or result of the sin nature within us. This is very different to the singular "sin" which we will look at shortly. Of course, if I commit a single wrongful act, it would be called a sin, so we do need to keep in mind the context of the verse of scripture we are reading. All the above clearly refer to "acts of sinning"!

As we also can learn from the verses, God’s remedy for our "sins" is forgiveness by the blood of Christ. Read the following verse,

1 John 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin [the context, all sin being our many sinful acts].

In other words, His death "for us" paid the debt for our sins, liberating us from its burden.


Now let's look at the word, "Sin" (singular)

Rom 5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned [all have committed many sinful acts]:

Romans 6:2 How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

Romans 6:6-7 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, [so] that the body of sin might be destroyed [Gk. kartargeo, made of no effect, nullified], [so] that henceforth we should not serve sin. 7 For he that is dead [with Christ] is freed from sin [the dominion of sin].

Romans 6:14 For sin [the sin nature] shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace."

2 Cor 5:21 For he hath made him to be sin for us [to have the nature of sin], who knew no sin [who had not the nature of sin]; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

The word "Sin" (singular) refers to the powerful nature of sin within us. It is this nature of sin that gets passed down to us through the seed of Adam. Every person born today carries this sin nature deep within them; it is part of us, and we cannot escape it except to die to it!! Jesus was born by conception not through man (thereby receiving the sin nature) but through the Holy Spirit and was not tainted by this nature that gets passed down by the seed of man. Because of this, Jesus Christ was able to die not just for us but as us, in other words, in our place. His sinless death is the propitiation for us and has redeemed us (who have received salvation through His gospel) from the penalty of sin.

Romans 7:8-18 But sin, taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence. For without the law sin was dead. 9 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died. 10 And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death. 11 For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me. 12 Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good. 13 Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid. But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful. 14 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin. 15 For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I. 16 If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good. 17 Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. 18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.

We learn from the above scriptures that the sin nature was destroyed (or made of no effect, nullifying it) through the death of Christ. God’s remedy for "sin" is deliverance by the cross of Christ.

Romans 6:3-4 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? 4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

In other words, His death "as us" liberated us from 'the dominion and power of the Sin nature.'

Praise be to God for His wisdom and to Christ for His blood and life sacrifice.

Amen!

This article was inspired by the writings of Art Licursi and Tom Smith


No comments:

Post a Comment