⭐ See my Q&A and WhatsApp Blogs ✨ (For bible questions and post responses) ✨

Encamped in the Foundational Book of Romans



Encamped in the Foundational Book of Romans

I've been spending a LOT of time in the Bible, studying Romans in particular, in preparation for the Bible Studies I host. All "The Journey" posts are basically an outflow of the studies I've done in this regard. Now, although I'm close to the end of Romans, I will be honest an say that I myself am not ready to leave Romans. There is a conviction within me to stay encamped here and work through it again. The Word of God is truly living and active, and right now it has a hold on my heart. There are yet deeper truths to source from this incredible book. On the other hand, it is a foundational book, which attests to its importance. One should not push on until these foundational topics are fully comprehended and integrated, into the mind, not only for me, but for you too, the readers, who connect with and share in my posts. I trust that you will benefit from this lingering in Romans as much as I am currently.

When one gets to 1 Corinthians, Paul has already laid the foundation. Paul writes,

1 Cor.3:10  According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon.

When Paul says in 1 Cor.3 that he had laid the foundation, where does that refer you back to? Well, the answer is quite obvious. The foundation is in the book of Romans, because it contains the foundational truth upon which we must build. Can I tell you a truth! If you're not building your faith upon the Romans foundation, your faith is in vain! If you are not established upon these truths in Romans, then your edification will suffer and fail. This is one of the reasons why I am encamped here, not only for my benefit, but for yours too.

It is logical that one does not build a house without a foundation. Even Jesus talked about this in his earthly ministry,

Matt.7:24-25  Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:  (25)  And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.

If you're not established upon the foundation, you know where you are? You're back in Rom.1:1 to Rom.3:20. This is a heavy statement, but so true! These opening chapters of Romans deal with the following:

  • unsaved people, corrupting the knowledge of God through their imagination.

Rom.1:21  Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

  • saved people, yet carnal in their ways, putting confidence in the flesh, trying in futility to prove themselves to God.

Rom.2:3  And thinkest thou this, O man, that judgest them which do such things, and doest the same, that thou shalt escape the judgment of God? 

  • people claiming to uphold the law, boasting in it, yet transgressing it in their blindness.

Rom.2:17  Behold, you are called a Jew, and rest in the Law, and boast in God; … 23  You who boast in Law, do you dishonor God through breaking the Law?

There is no way to sugarcoat this. The above can account for 80-90 percent of the church today. The main point that I'm introducing here is that Christians today don’t comprehend that they're under grace. They are saved, but they’ve not accepted the first principle in Romans concerning, "Justification by faith"! Why? Look how many are living under (1) works, and (2) the law, to try and please God! They live as if God saved them and then put them back under the administration of death! 

Now, I know some of you will disagree, but I also know that many of you will agree with me. We need to take a good look at our lives, and evaluate it based on what Romans tells us. I have a conviction to stand still here, because what Romans tells me is different to how many of us are living, talking, and reacting, in life today. 

We will do the litmus test in the next post.

God bless.



2 comments:

  1. Hello Rudi. I am glad you are spending a lot of time in Romans. I did a PhD on the letter and went on to write several books on it. I am now 80 and have spent my adult life grappling with this wonderful letter. If you would like to see what others have said about these writings you can see them at www.apiarypublishing.com
    with best wishes, Tom Holland (tomsholland@msn.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Tom,
      What an honour to make your acquaintance and to receive your comment on spending time in Romans. Many TX for your encouraging words.
      That is certainly a valued library of reference and learning you have there. It is my honest and steadfast opinion that the epistle of Romans (and of Ephesians) are the two most valuable pieces of literature on the face of this earth. All other books that showcase the knowledge of man, from science, to engineering, to language and history, cannot come close to the perfection of message and Spirit captured in both these epistles. They are certainly worth the study and time one puts into them.
      My prayer is that other might find the treasures of salvation and reconciliation within their pages.
      God bless you for the time and work you put in to promoting and spreading the message inspired by our Lord and captured in the writings of our apostle. Paul.

      Delete